It’s Summer……and out West that means WILDFIRE SEASON. If last Summer wasn’t still fresh in our memory, the INTENSE storms that have rolled through in the afternoons and overnight hours this past week, have been a thundering reminder. (No pun intended) Now with high winds to push those smoldering lightning strikes….wildfire season is ON. Things have really exploded over the past few days.
Are you ready for fire season? Things can happen SO quickly, so now is the time to get organized and as the old saying goes: Be Prepared.
• People and Pets (including food, leashes, carriers, etc.)
• Papers, phone numbers, and important documents
• Prescriptions, vitamins, and eyeglasses
• Pictures and irreplacable memorabilia
• Personal computer hard drives and disks (Now is a good time to get your backups done! NOTE TO SELF!)
• Paper or Plastic? Actually BOTH. (credit cards, ATM cards, and cash)
Although we keep a fire perimeter around our property, and are extremely mindful of fire danger this time of year…you can’t be too prepared! When firefighters show up at the road and holler that we’re on alert for evac–it’s an adrenaline rush–and we’re pretty well prepared (as one can be)! I have our Bug Out Bags at the ready, always. However, I know I am missing some of the above list in my preparations. Now is the time to take care of that! It’s time to get that empty tote set up in the pantry and get things ready to go. I love the big Rubbermaid type totes with lids to keep everything, especially photo albums and irreplaceable items, easy to grab, toss in the back of the truck and head out at a moments notice. It’s also a good time to double check over my Emergency Binder and get things in order. Fire Season is here!